Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Book Review: Servant of the Forest

Servant of the Forest by Shona Husk

Publishing Date: September 1, 2017
Publisher: Self Published
Synopsis from Goodreads: 

“Remember to be wild,” Orabella’s mother would say. 
But her mother is dead and Orabella’s days are taken up with chores for the small estate that barely keeps her stepmother and stepsisters fed. 
Then an invitation arrives. The King is throwing a three day party for the Prince, a last attempt to find a cure for the curse that will claim him on his twentieth birthday. The witch who saves Gauthier will get his hand in marriage and will eventually become queen. 
Orabella is forbidden from going to the party even though everyone is invited. She wants to see the castle and the Cursed Prince. This time she refuses to obey her stepmother. 
As Orabella discovers the secrets of her past and the truth about her mother and the prince’s curse, she learns that no one is to be trusted and not everyone wants the prince to survive. 




SPOILER FREE REVIEW



I rated it 4/5 "really liked it"

I would like to thank the author Shona Husk for the ARC I received via email.

I know what I'm about to say is really cliche but I do mean it. This is no ordinary Cinderella retelling. The events are guided by the original fairy tale but this book has its own world. I can even almost favor this over the original. Well written and well thought out, there were no loose ends.

It's got witches, curses, potions and lots of pretty dresses, it's a three day party what do you expect. It has the right amount of thrill, mystery, and romance. I was hooked by this book from the very first chapter. Written in both Orabella and Gauthier's POV I was determined to be beside them both in their journey and see it through the end. By the end of the book it made me appreciate the forest and all living animals and insects around. It not only satisfies our reading needs but it also carries an important message.

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars because it didn't play with my feelings too much like the way I'm used to but it did keep my interest going. I'm always curious, I'm always searching for the solution and the reason.

It's so hard to give a review of this book without spoiling anything. All I can say is, take a chance and visit the world Shona Husk has created. Servant of the Forest comes out September 1st, be sure to grab a copy.




No comments:

Post a Comment