Monday, July 31, 2017

Book Review: Manga Classics: The Scarlet Letter

Manga Classics: The Scarlet Letter by Stacy King

Publishing Date: March 31, 2015
Publisher: UDON Entertainment
Synopsis from Goodreads: 

A powerful tale of forbidden love, shame, and revenge comes to life in Manga Classics: The Scarlet Letter. Faithfully adapted by Crystal Chan from the original novel, this new edition features stunning artwork by SunNeko Lee (Manga Classics: Les Miserables) which will give old and new readers alike a fresh insight into the Nathaniel Hawthorne's tragic saga of Puritan America. Manga Classics editions feature classic stories, faithfully adapted and illustrated in manga style, and available in both hardcover and softcover editions. Proudly presented by UDON Entertainment and Morpheus Publishing.







SPOILER FREE REVIEW


I rated it 2/5 "it was okay"

I didn't fully understand the story, given that I haven't read the original novel so I turned to Google for some insight. It was then that I realized that what I understood with the manga is all there really is. More importantly, it is the type of story where the reader has to give his own meaning to the text.

Reading the 'Metaphors' page in the manga, it helped me understand even more. I thought this was a story without magic but I was wrong. It's about witchcraft and weird powers, especially Pearl who was said to be elf-like, a strange child of some sort.

This book was quick to read, it's more on pictures rather than conversations and narrations. So I can tell that the actual novel had more about descriptions of the surroundings and locations.

Once again, very helpful to students and to me who is too lazy to read the full novel.





No comments:

Post a Comment