Saturday, June 24, 2017

Book Review: Geekerella

Geekerella by Ashley Poston

Publishing Date: April 4, 2017
Publisher: Quirk Books
Synopsis from Goodreads: 

Cinderella goes to the con in this fandom-fueled twist on the classic fairy tale.

Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom. Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad’s old costume), Elle’s determined to win…unless her stepsisters get there first.

Teen actor Darien Freeman used to live for cons—before he was famous. Now they’re nothing but autographs and awkward meet-and-greets. Playing Carmindor is all he’s ever wanted, but the Starfield fandom has written him off as just another dumb heartthrob. As ExcelsiCon draws near, Darien feels more and more like a fake—until he meets a girl who shows him otherwise.
 


SPOILER FREE REVIEW

I rated it 5/5 "it was amazing"

“I hate that I’m falling for someone I don’t even know.”

My take on the plot.
Before Ella’s father died it was always him, Ella, and Starfield reruns - the sci-fi tv series that they both loved so much. Now a reboot of Starfield is being made into a movie with Darien Freeman as the lead, Carmindor. Ella isn’t convinced he’s worthy of role and she ranted about it in her blog Rebelgunner. Darien runs into her blog post and is enraged by Rebelgunner. Darien accidentally texts the wrong number which was Ella’s and thus begins their relationship divided by a screen. However, Darien doesn’t give out a name and Ella calls her as Carmindor while Darien knows she’s Ella, he doesn’t know she’s behind Rebelgunner. 

“There’s just me stranded on the wrong side of everything that I love.”

It’s very modern and I love how I am brought to the world of cosplay and cons. I have never been to one before and the way Exelsicon was described in this book feels like I was in there too. I am a fangirl myself and this book just made me become a fan of a non-existent show! I wish Starfield were a real tv show, or at least a comic book. How about a novel? Even a serialized novel would be great.

“I fell in love across the cell signals and late-night texts with a girl I barely knew.”

Ella is no short of Cinderella’s character she’s not even a geek, she’s an ordinary fangirl like most of us while Darien is a different kind of Prince Charming. Being in behind the scenes on a major film made me realize how hard it is to be an actor and the different roles of the crew. Darien being an unsure prince because his life is being run by his father slash manager and is also forced to be on a diet to maintain his abs.

I pretty much enjoyed seeing the major aspects of Cinderella being incorporated to their story. It’s not even cliche, all the characters are very realistic, the events also realistic. It’s a refreshing take on a classic. The ending didn’t seem rushed either though I did feel a different rush getting to the end. It was well paced, it worked out well for the characters. I even wish for a sequel. I want to know what happens to their lives after the end. Oh and Rebelgunner’s blog post was the perfect closing remark for the book.

There’s so many things I could talk about this book without even spoiling anything but I don’t want this review to be so long. All I could say is read it. Pick up this book and read it. It’s not what you think it would be.

Look to the stars. Aim. Ignite.


No comments:

Post a Comment