Sunday, April 16, 2017

13 Reasons Why (2017 show)


13 Reasons Why

Weeks after Hannah Baker committed suicide, Clay receives a box at his door step. The box contains 7 tapes, each side marked with numbers from 1 to 13. When he plays the first tape he finds out each tape contains a reason that leads to why Hannah ended her life. Hannah mentioned on the tape that if a person is listening to it, then he is one of the reasons.

Based on: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Network: Netflix
Genre: Drama, Mystery
Language: English
Running Time: 49-61 minutes
Number of Seasons: 1
Number of Episodes: 13
Release Date: March 31, 2017

Review

4/5 stars

"All of you cared, but none of you cared enough."

This show deserves 5 stars like what I gave to the book but I just wasn't as interested to it as I watched each episode. Maybe it's because I already know the events that are going to happen because I read the book back in high school, or maybe I just lack sleep and the story isn't a thriller or anything so it doesn't keep me up at night.

The actors who portray the characters, they're all good, but most of the time I think the actors who play as boys seem to feminine for me. But maybe that's just me. Their acting, facial expressions, spot on. You can tell how they feel because their body language and faces show it so well. The soundtrack is also a plus. It's all good.

My memory was kind of foggy as I watched the show and I second guessed myself about the order of events but I later realized they changed up some of the order of the tapes to fit well with the story. I love how some characters in a tape get longer episodes because there's just a long story to tell about them. Hannah life wasn't perfect, it was kind of messed up. I don't know what I would do if I were in her shoes but I'd never kill myself. Needles even scare me!

The scene where they finally showed how Hannah slit her wrist was VERY DISTURBING to me. I don't like seeing blood and there was A LOT of blood in that scene. After I finished the last episode I watched the video "13 Reasons Why: Beyond The Reasons" and they said they wanted that scene to be disturbing to show people there's nothing beautiful, nothing good, nothing right about killing yourself. It's painful and it inflicts more pain to the people who still care about you.

In the end a lot of plot lines were left open and fans are hoping they'll push for a season 2 because we want to know what happens next.

Everyone must watch this series. The show has more to say that the book ever could.

Now I just want to chill at their local coffee shop everyday and drink hot chocolate.

If you need help or know anyone who needs help, visit the site 13reasonswhy.info


No comments:

Post a Comment